Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Squid Mixes: Rosita

A Rosita combines white tequila, Campari, dry vermouth and sweet vermouth with a lemon twist.  The recipe in The New York Barender's Guide puts the liquors in 4:4:1:1 ratio.  The drink was fun to make if only for the succession of strong smells.  The finished drink is mostly tequila in the nose and Campari on the tongue.  The recipe yields more than the photo would suggest.  We were a few sips in before I remembered to take a picture.

The drink was tasty but a bit too strong for my wife's preference.  She also noted that Campari seems more of a summery liquor.  As such, I shall endeavor to incorporate more wintery spirits in the coming weeks.  Of course, first we have to sort out which ones would qualify...

12 comments:

  1. Campari is just great on its own with a twist and ice. I like Dubonnet also just like the Queen. Not a tequila fan to harsh. But then I have not had a drink in 40+ years. So all my likes and dislikes are super old.

    cheers, parsnip and mandibles

    ReplyDelete
  2. A winter drink does need a bit of strength I think. Can't remember what Campari tastes like though. Pretty colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite bitter, derived from a citrus fruit called the chinotto.

      Delete
  3. I haven't had this one, but then I'm afraid my forays into the spirits have been rather tame. Plus, liquor is expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes, but beer and wine aren't exactly cheap, at least not if you prefer to drink anything worthwhile. Liquor isn't so bad when you consider how many drinks one can get from a single bottle. If you're mixing drinks, you should steer clear of the top-shelf brands anyway.

      Delete
  4. I don't have a lot of experience with tequila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I have a little too much experience with tequila. Oh, to be young and misguided...

      Delete
    2. Well, I was in my 30s, well into my 30s, before I started drinking any alcohol at all. I mean, even beer is a new thing for me.

      Delete
    3. Many of the truly boneheaded things I have done in my life were connected with tequila. Look up upside-down margarita on Urban Dictionary sometime.

      Delete
  5. What about Montgomerys Scotch Whiskey? So lets have one wee sip before hitting these space babies with full thrusters, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, there really is a Montgomery's Scotch. Alas, I have not tried it.

      Delete